Over the past few months, I’ve observed an increasing amount of chatter within Twitter (the popular micro-blogging service) regarding virtual events and virtual tradeshows. In many cases, Twitter users who are considering their first virtual event will submit a tweet such as, “considering my first virtual event. Anyone have information on best practices?”. I chime in when I can, but Twitter and its 140 character limit does not facilitate much in the way of extended dialog.
In fact, when two or more Twitter users need to delve deep on a topic, the next step is usually to “connect offline”. Similarly, this blog is a useful vehicle for the communication of my thoughts and ideas – but isn’t great for facilitating discussion. Despite the comment feature of blogs, there hasn’t been much extended discussion here, by way of commenters.
So I decided to create a Facebook Group to address these challenges – it’s called Virtual Event Strategists and is open to anyone interested (you need a Facebook account to join). Here’s a snapshot of the group page:
Why a Facebook Group? A few reasons:
- The 175MM active users (of Facebook) – most readers of this blog are likely on Facebook – if not, let me know why not!
- Threaded discussions – are you a first-timer in virtual events? Well, starting up a threaded discussion may be just the thing to do
- The Wall – post miscellaneous thoughts and ideas about virtual events
- Post Links – let us know what interesting blogs or articles you’re reading about virtual events
- Post Video – Facebook has a convenient video recording and hosting capability – plug in a webcam and start using it
In fact, I’ll be doing brief “Virtual Event Tip of the Day” video clips on the Group page. Here’s one of my first video clips, where I talk about the use of prizes in virtual events:
I’ve seeded the site with some initial content – but, what I’d most like is to hear from all of you. So, start some discussions, post some videos, post some links. The group page is:
Let’s collaborate and learn together – see you there!