Virtual Events can be highly effective in generating leads to fuel your sales pipeline. Here’s a 5-step process that I call the “Virtual Event Lead Generation Virtuous Cycle“:
- Engage & Qualify
Step #2 (“Engage & Qualify”) is quite unique for virtual events, compared to other online lead generation activities. Virtual events allow you to generate leads (Step #1) and engage and qualify them on the spot.
With a white paper download or an on-demand webinar, the engagement and qualification occurs after the prospect has requested your content. Note that I said “requested” – with a white paper download, you don’t even know if the prospect read the paper.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat
As the diagram above illustrates, effective use of virtual events for lead generation is done in a circle (or cycle), where you begin the next event with learnings from your prior event.
By knowing what worked and what didn’t work from your last event, you fine tune and optimize your strategies and tactics and become more effective in generating and engaging leads with each event. So think of virtual event lead generation as an ongoing journey and not a discrete project.
To help on your journey, here are some useful resources that I’ve come across.
Generating Leads (Step #1)
- From BetterCloser.com, “Sales is Personal, Why Isn’t Your Lead Generation?”
- An eBook from Brian Carroll, “Eight CRITICAL Success Factors for Lead Generation“
- From BtoB Online, “2010 Lead Generation Guide“
- An interview with The Funnelholic, which includes insights on lead generation with virtual events.
Lead Scoring (Step #3)
- From Brian Carroll, “Lead scoring thoughts to share“
Lead Re-Engagement (Step #4)
More commonly referred to as Lead Follow-Up, also includes Lead Nurturing
- From Marketo, “Perfect Timing – When to Call a Prospect“
- From LeadSloth, “What Lead Nurturing Content to Send When?”
Lead Assessment (Step #5)
A subset of Lead Management
- From The Funnelholic, “Lead Management: 67 tips from the biggest experts in the field“
Lead Generation and Virtual Events – A Book
I’ll soon be publishing a book that provides related advice on generating sales leads with virtual events. For further information on lead generation and virtual events, “Like” the book’s Facebook page. Updates on the book’s availability will be posted here. Best of luck on your own journey!